Moving home? However long your to-do list may be— packing, repacking, arranging the dates with the moving company — there’s one more thing you’ll need to take care of: disconnecting and reconnecting your utilities.
If you’re only moving a few blocks away, transferring your existing service may fit the bill. But, your long-awaited house may be across the country and, sometimes, your current services may not be available there.
This is when you need to disconnect your utility services at your old address and arrange a new electricity connection.
But how do you do this?
At Foxie, we deal with utility connections every day – read on to find out how to disconnect and reconnect your utilities when moving house.
How do I disconnect my electricity?
There are only a few steps involved to disconnect the electricity at your old home:
- As well as connecting electricity at your new address, you need to disconnect it at your old address. Contact your existing electricity provider and let them know you’re relocating.
- After they’ve cut your old property or rental off the grid, you’ll receive the final bill. The changeover will happen only after your meter is read — this should take a maximum of 3 business days to happen, as long as there is clear and safe access to your meter.
- Ensure there is enough clearance around your meter for access — no locked gates, unrestrained animals, low lying branches or bush coverings, etc. Not doing so may prevent the electricity supplier from disconnecting your meter.
And on that note, make sure you’re ready to pay for the final bill when it does arrive.
You also need to know the right time to have your electricity disconnected.
When’s the best time to arrange to have my electricity disconnected?
When moving house, you have too many irons in the fire and time can fly by — it’s important to watch your timing.
Have your electricity provider disconnect your power after you moved and cleaned up your property for handover.
A few extra notes:
- Give plenty of notice to your energy provider — 3 to 4 business days at the least, or a week to be on the safe side.
- If you’re living in a share house, you don’t need to disconnect from the network. All you need to do is notify your electricity provider about your change of address. Also, if possible, you should ask another housemate to have the account set up in their name.
- Remember to get your security deposit back if you paid any when you accepted the contract.
Want to know about the best electricity prices in Australia? Check out the Foxie breakdown »
How Do I Apply for an Electricity Reconnection?
Here comes the important part: getting your new property up and running with an energy supply.
To apply for a new electricity connection in Australia, get in touch with your provider. They will inform you about the types of connection offers that will suit your needs.
On top of this, you need to submit an application for a new electricity connection. Each provider has a unique set of connection policies, so the procedure will vary.
When this is over, you can typically expect to get your electricity connected within two or more business days.
To get your electricity connected simply or urgently, within a day (or to choose a better deal than what you currently have), get in touch with Foxie.
Do I Need Any Documents to Disconnect and Reconnect My Electricity?
To disconnect your energy supply, you’ll need to cancel the contract with your provider. To complete this, you’ll need to produce the ID details that you used to connect the account.
Do I Need to Be Home When They Connect My Electricity?
This depends on the location of your new property. It also depends on whether the property is disconnected from the energy supply or not.
Most energy retailers advise that if there is no clear and safe access to the energy meters, then you will need to be at home for the connection.
So to avoid the unwanted scenario of not getting your energy connected if, for whatever reason, you expect to be away — make sure that you provide clear and safe access to your meter.
If your meter is placed indoors, then in most cases, you’ll have to be home for the electricity connection. In some instances, a remote connection is possible. Make sure to check with your provider on this.
A special note for house movers in Queensland: You should know there’s a mandatory inspection that needs to take place if your house is not connected. You can choose a 5-hour window when booking the so-called “Visual Safety Inspection.”
How do I Choose the Best Electricity Service Provider in Australia?
One more step before you light up your first home — choosing your energy provider!
This can be a bit of a pain in the neck.
For starters, getting bombarded by offers from all over the place is overwhelming. On top of that, navigating the energy supply networks on your own can cost you up to 40% more if you get sold on a single option.
And then, moving from one side of the country to another can make things even more complicated.
Still, you’ll need your electricity/ electric connection on the day you move in and there’s a shortcut to take.
With Foxie, connecting and disconnecting your energy service is a no-brainer — we make it simple so you have your energy connected by the time you move into your new home.
How do we do this?
We’re a world-class utilities connection service that helps you:
- Find the right deal without wasting hours comparing different connection plans.
- Help you narrow down your options and choose the right energy supplier for your needs.
- Arrange for the connection of your electricity within one business day, or even within hours.
And there’s more to us than that — we’re a complete household connection service that can help you connect other utilities as well, such as water, gas, broadband and television.
The point is, you don’t have to do any of it alone, like one of our customers Adam wisely chose not to:
“When setting up our home gas and electricity I started trying to find the best deal between all the utilities. I was lucky to find Rachael at Foxie who got me much better deals on both and did pretty much all the work for me.”
With Foxie, sorting your utilities is a simple process that looks like this:
Need Your Utilities Connected ASAP?
However excited you are to see the day when you move into your new home, it can still be a stressful experience.
If the process stretches for too long, this stress can spill into other areas of your life. The last thing you need is the hassle over your electricity connection.
And nowadays, it can be difficult to do anything without electricity. If you have an electric BBQ, you’d definitely need to have your electricity connected to throw that housewarming BBQ!
We’ve helped 30,000+ Australian households connect to the grid. Call us today and you’ll get all the help you need with sorting your utilities — free of charge.
- How to set up and internet connection in your new house »
- Seven reasons you should use a utilities connection service »